Saturday, June 18, 2011

Home inspection from hell

Interestingly, the way blogs read, if I update this blog going progressively backwards in time and someone reads it once I'm done, it will tell our story in chronological order...

Tuesday we had our home inspection. Or, more accurately, our potential buyer had her inspection of our home. I spent hours cleaning the house, scrubbing walls, putting away clothes and dishes, running Roomba, emptying the rabbits' litter box, making the beds neatly, and so on. I was late to work because I was doing last-minute cleaning by myself while my husband walked out the door proclaiming, "She's already buying it; it's not a big deal."

A few hours later, I get a text from my realtor, "Did the previous inspector mention anything about work in the basement?" ... um, no. I called him to see what on earth was going on. Apparently they were in the basement, and the inspector did not like what he was seeing. Now, mind you, another unit in our building sold two weeks ago... and we had heard nothing about the basement. Well, maybe this guy was just a little more cautious.

A short time later, my realtor calls me to inform me that my condo smells like cat piss, and express disappointment that I did not empty the litter box. Now, we have a cat... but the litter box was fairly clean and I certainly didn't think it smelled when I left this morning. Apparently, I have lost the ability to distinguish the smell of cat urine. This means that people probably frequently walk into my house and think to themselves, "Oh, gross" ... and have not been telling me. I am now one of Those Pet People, whose homes have adopted the smell of their beloved Fido or Fifi, and who are none the wiser of it.

Anyhow, more important is the fact that the inspector recommended having a structural engineer look at a wall in our basement. Cat pee is small beans compared to a wall in your basement whose structural integrity is now in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment